While Commencement is a celebration of our students’ accomplishments, it is also a formal academic event to be conducted with dignity and decorum. Guests are asked to remain in their seats for the duration of the ceremony to refrain from blocking passageways, including the area directly in front of the stage, by attempting to greet or take photos of individual graduates. Professional photos will be taken of each graduate as they ascend the stage to be congratulated by the college president, and may be purchased through the photographer after the ceremony.
In support of our graduates, we also ask that you refrain from departing the ceremony early, especially after your own graduate has been recognized and there are others waiting to be recognized. Cell phones and related electronic equipment should be turned off during the ceremony.
- All graduates are expected to attend the entire ceremony and to participate in both the processional and recessional.
- Graduates are reminded that commencement is both a joyful as well as solemn event. We ask that you express excitement in ways that will not prevent others from hearing the speakers and enjoying the ceremony.
- All bags are subject to a voluntary search. Items such as air horns, strollers, umbrellas, backpacks and weapons of any kind are not permitted.
- Alcohol is not permitted.
- Security and emergency medical personnel will be available to provide a safe environment for all commencement participants and guests.
- Cell phones should be turned to their silent operating modes to help ensure that all guests can hear and enjoy the graduation activities.